I was not always a writer. I started my journey as a science girl. I worked in banks and software firms.
But who was I kidding? I love writing since I was a little girl. At the end of the day, you could find me scribbling away in my personal diaries. Holidays meant buying new books with all of my pocket money and reading all the books in one day. I even finished reading my course storybooks end to end the day I got them.
All of this was fine. But I didn’t know how to write well. I had no idea that we need to edit a piece after writing the first draft. Before starting On My Canvas, I had three other blogs that are now resting peacefully for I didn’t try to level up my game of writing. Truth be told, I didn’t know I had to.
After staying in the corporate world for a few years, I quit my job to write and see the world. And then everything changed. You can read more about my career change and life journey in my author bio.
Soon I was writing every day. I was editing. I was watching blank pages for hours without giving up. I took online courses and signed up for a writing workshop in Bangalore. Whether traveling or not, I took out some time to write.
By writing more regularly, I learned every day. As I wrote and published more, challenged myself with diverse freelance writing projects, read many books and articles on writing, talked to other writers, took feedback on my work, and grew general awareness on good writing, I started receiving a lot of positive feedback from other writers and readers.
I have learned (and am still learning) the tips and tricks of writing the hard way. Every time I fall, I pick up myself with even more determination.
I have created this space to share my learning on my steep writing and blogging journey. I promise you that none of these writing guides would give you generic advice. I will only write about what I learn along the way, what I read, the mistakes I make, and what works for me.
Hope you stick around.
Show up on your writing desk every day and the rest will work out. Good luck.
- Celebrating 3 Thriving Years of On My Canvas – And Future Plans (5) September 2, 2020
- 9 Creative Writing Tactics to Enrich Your Travel Writing (0) July 5, 2020
- From Coding to Writing – How I Quit My Job, Shelved My IIT CS Degree, and Started Writing (20) May 3, 2020
- 2 Years of Blogging – My Best Advice for New Bloggers (24) August 6, 2019
- 27 Writing Tips for Novice Writers – Write Better (8) May 8, 2019
- Hold on Even After Your Hands Bleed – For That Is The Only Way to Succeed (5) February 28, 2019
- Golden Highlights of 2018 – A Year of Writing, Love, and Nomadness. (6) January 7, 2019
- Learnings From One–Year of Sincere Writing and Blogging (9) June 25, 2018
- How I Struggle as a New Writer (2) June 21, 2018
- How to Write Every Day – My Journey As a Writer (5) February 22, 2018
- My Poem Was Published in Alone Together — Tales of Sisterhood and Solitude in Latin America (5) November 16, 2017