What does this travel guide to Dharamshala contain?
- My Dharamshala trip at a glance
- About Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
- My best things to do in Dharamshala.
- What is the best time to visit Dharamshala?
- How to reach Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh?
- How to reach Dharamshala from Delhi?
- Where to stay in Dharamshala?
- How much would a trip to Dharamshala cost?
- What to bring to Dharamshala?
- Is Dharamshala safe for solo travelers?
- How to avoid the smoking culture of Dharamshala if you don’t want to be a part of it?
- How to go on a long trip to Dharamshala?
- Around Dharamshala and further reading.
My Dharamshala trip at a glance.
This is not your typical Dharamshala travel guide.
During my six weeks in Dharamshala, I hardly ever searched for “things to do in Dharamshala” or “best places to visit in Dharamshala.”
What was I doing? I was busy taking my Dharamshala trip slow.
I might sound clichéd, but I was learning the art of doing nothing.
Having said that, let me tell you that I started my journey in Dharamshala by attending a Vipassana course in Dharamkot, one of the many green villages of Dharamshala district. After a much-needed 10-day silence of body and mind, I packed my bags and headed out of the deodar forests of the Dharamkot Vipassana center. My plan was to stay for a week in upper Dharamkot.
But something made me leave Dharamkot in just two days. Was it the smoky air of my Dharamkot hostel or the hippies lining the cafes in Dharamkot market, I am not sure. I surrendered to my discomfort and shifted to Upper Bhagsu, another lush village in Dharamshala that lies on the other side of Dharamkot.
I had gone to Upper Bhagsu for a week, and I didn’t know that I would end up spending more than a month there.